Town of Ordway
Ordway Town Hall
Welcome to Ordway
Ordway, Colorado is located in the Southeast part of Colorado. It is the County Seat of
Crowley County, Ordway has a population of 1200 people. It is surrounded by farms and
ranches. Ordway is a good place to retire to and some of the people that use to live here
are coming back to retire.
There are Rivers and Lakes that surround Ordway that are good for Fishing and Recreational.
They are the Ordway Reservoir, Lakes’ Henry and Meredith and the Arkansas River. There are,
also, two prisons where some of the residences work to get their income from and they are
The Arkansas Valley Prison in Crowley, Colorado and The Correctional Corporation of America
in Olney Springs, Colorado.
Ordway was named after Hon. George N. Ordway, who was a successful Denver Businessman.
As the story has been told that there were three names put into a hat and the name that was
pulled out was George Ordway. The two other men that had their name in the hat were D. C.
Roberts and Col. Avery Moore. In the late 1880’s Ordway had a population of 300 people, with
a telegraph and express office, a school, and a general store. Ordway was incorporated on
October 1, 1900. By September of 1911 the population had climbed to 870.
Original Ordway Town Hall was made out of wood and it stood where the Town Hall now sits.
When the new Town Hall was going to be constructed, the old Town Hall was put in the alley
for a temporary location.
The new Town Hall consists of two stories and a basement. It is constructed of mottled
pressed brick. On the first floor on the north side will be housed the modern, motorized fire
fighting equipment quarters for the paid firemen and a gymnasium. On the south side was
a ladies rest room and above that was a council chamber, police court, public library and
community hall.In the rear was the jail, steam heated and provided with comforts of home.